Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tegucigalpa or bust!

Early tomorrow (8/10/08) morning Hunter and I set off for Honduras again. We fly from Atlanta to San Pedro Sula and then take a bus (4 hrs) to Tegucigalpa. We are taking this circuitous route because the airport in Tegu is closed to international traffic (big planes) due to a crash a couple months ago. Happily, by the time we head back with the teams in March and April, Delta will be flying direct from ATL to Tegu on smaller airplanes! Woohoo!

I have put off packing as long as I can and will spend the rest of the day doing so. I have 4 ENORMOUS suitcases to fill with things to take down for the LAMB folks - school supplies, clothes, gifts to sponsored children, diapers for the babies at the Residential Nursery, medical supplies, etc. The challenge is to fit it all in and keep each suitcase under 50 lbs. Hunter will be carrying on a sewing machine for the Community Assistance Program which is teaching the ladies of La Cantera (suffering from extreme poverty per the UN definition - live on less than $1 a day) to sew as a way of supporting themselves.

Hasta Manana! I will write again Sunday or Monday. I cannot wait to get back out to SBV and see the children. (SBV - San Buena Ventura where the Children's Residential Home is. 50+ children live there in cottages. Two are completely finished, two under construction. All the children are victims of abuse, neglect, and/or extreme poverty) I am especially looking forward to seeing my "son" Elias - my sponsored child and the teenaged girls. They are such a hoot!