Thursday, October 14, 2010

THEY'RE SO FLUFFY!!!!

Wednesday, October 13

Have you seen the movie Despicable Me?  If not, rush out and see it.  A great line from the movie is when Agnes, the littlest orphan, shouts with joy when she got a huge new unicorn, "IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!!!"   Well, we morphed it a bit to refer to the kids at SBV because they are so, so cute.  Noe, Maria Mercedes, Fany, et al... THEY'RE SO FLUFFY!!!!

Today was a great day.  We started out in Flor at the children's assembly.  Always wonderful.  Esli was leading part of the program.  It is really awe inspiring to see how she has grown into such a poised young lady.  I spoke to her quickly and she beamed when I told her that I was so proud of her and so happy that she now has Angelie, her daughter, with her.  "Yes, I am so happy and I am with my mother too!"  A happy ending thanks to God's grace and the loving staff at SBV.

I had a very fruitful discussion with Gladys, the Honduran Director of LAMB.  Every time I speak with her I am more impressed with her dedication, competence, intelligence, and strength.  I learned today what a visionary she is.  She and I share many traits like that.  I am very excited about working closely with her.  She takes a holistic view of everything which is so grand.  I also bought a car from her!  Of course, I won't take ownership of it till January but that is one load off my mind.

We took a quick(ish) trip to Giancarlo's.  Again I didn't spend all that was allocated!  What a good girl am I!
We returned to Casa LAMB for a quick lunch and then to La Colonia, the grocery store, to buy ice cream for the birthday party at SBV. As Pamm was reaching for the vanilla, I redirected her to the chocolate chip. Of course.  If given a choice, always go for the chocolate chip.

On to SBV to set up for the birthday party.  We had two huge pinatas - Woody and Jesse from Toy Story 2 and 3.   Once school was out we got the children down on the field to do the pinatas.  First the girls.  It was hilarious.  They all made a big circle around Jesse who was suspended from a tree on a line.  One of the staff members would raise and lower it to make easier or harder to hit depending on the age of the child.  They started with the smallest girls and worked their way up to the older girls.  They excitedly cheered each other on, patiently waiting their turn.  Who do you suppose had the final whack that broke open the pinata liberating all the candy?  Gina.  Who else!  The girls fell on the candy collecting it as fast as they could.

Next it was the boys' turn.  It was a riot.  Literally.  No carefully organized circle.  No, it was more of a pig pile under Woody.  Typical boys!  But, the little boys did manage to go first and somehow everyone who wanted a turn got one before all the candy flew.  Little Alex was hysterical holding his shirt out under Woody as the candy was falling to catch it before it hit the ground!  A fun time was had by all!

Up we went to Cottage 1 for cake, ice cream, hats, and goodie bags.  Before we sang happy birthday to the October and November birthday boys and girls, I made my announcement about living in Honduras. I was moved and delighted to say that everyone cheered!   We handed out cake and ice cream to everyone.  I was disappointed to learn that the alleged chocolate chips in the ice cream were actually raisins!  EWWW.  I was surprised by a raisin and was not amused.  Nevertheless, it was a great party.

Dunia was so dear.  Before the party she made sure I added Sulay, her house mother, to the list of birthday people especially because today is her birthday.  After the goodie bags were handed out she raced up to me upset because Sulay hadn't gotten a goodie bag!  Not to worry, we had extra so Sulay got her goodie bag!  How dear of Dunia to be so concerned that Sulay had the proper acknowledgement of her birthday.  That's how those kids are -- so generous, so empathetic, so caring.  I just love them.   THEY ARE SO FLUFFY!

We got back to Casa LAMB for another fiesta!  A surprise fiesta as a going away party.  Judy moved it from Friday to tonight because Pamm and Alex are leaving tomorrow.  Gladys, Evelyn, and David joined us.  We had such a good time.  I was telling them about our family motto: Never be surprised by a raisin.  David was confused about what I was trying to say.  I explained that we bought chocolate chip ice cream but it had raisins instead.  He clarified that what we bought was actually...wait for it... (remember, the ice cream was for 65 children) ...we bought RUM RAISIN ice cream for a children's birthday party!  We all totally lost it over that.  Although the week isn't over yet, I believe I am secure in my position of doing the stupidest thing of the week!

I am still hoping for a non-destructive but flight cancelling storm so Pamm and Alex have to stay longer....

Tomorrow I am going to meet a woman who lost both of her legs in a train accident.  She has 3 children, lives in a hovel and refuses charity.  She is joining our micro-enterprise program, getting a loan to purchase sweets, apples, etc. to sell on the street so she can ultimately purchase a sewing machine to start a business making curtains and bed linens.

Good night all... enjoy the pictures of the birthday party...































1 comment: